Swimming Pool Accident Attorneys in Tucson, Arizona
Award-winning legal representation for victims of swimming pool accidents and death due to drownings.
A swimming pool can provide an abundant source of enjoyment and hours of entertainment for both children and adults alike, especially during the hottest days in Arizona. Unfortunately, swimming pools can also pose a very real risk and threat to those who use them - especially young children. Negligence or carelessness around a swimming pool can easily lead to severe and debilitating swimming pool injuries or a wrongful death.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a swimming pool accident, you owe it to yourself to obtain legal representation from an experienced Tucson swimming pool accident attorney at our firm. The attorneys at our firm are steadfast supporters of accident victims' rights and have handled many swimming pool accident cases and drowning claims for clients throughout Arizona.
We have more than 120 years combined experience practicing personal injury law and have won many million-dollar settlements and verdicts for our clients over the past four decades. Our award-winning attorneys are highly-regarded and well-known when it comes to handling swimming pool accident lawsuits and ensuring maximum compensation for clients. Each of our lawyers have also been included in the Arizona Super Lawyers® list and have received an AV® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Common Causes of Swimming Pool Accidents & Injuries
In a swimming pool accident, a skilled attorney can help you recover damages.
In Arizona, a drowning incident or accident involving a swimming pool may qualify as a premises liability case if the owner was negligent in providing proper pool maintenance, signage, or safety standards. However, a catastrophic injury or wrongful death case may be the appropriate legal action to recover compensatory damages if there was a physical injury, slip and fall, or a fatality occurred.
Pool owners have an increased risk of liability for those who swim in their pool and must be especially cautious when children are around the pool area. Sadly, drowning is not what most people think and almost never involves splashing and screaming - instead, it is quick, quiet and calm - an almost imperceptible act that can turn deadly in seconds.
Whether it is a private residence or public setting, the owner of the swimming pool is responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the guests in the pool and surrounding pool area. Liability issues apply to public and private pools, water parks, hotel pools, school pools, camp pools, youth organization pools, and more. All swimming pool owners are held to a high standard of care due to the inherent risk of the swimming pool, especially when it involves young children.
Some of the most common causes of swimming pool accidents and drownings include:
- Lack of adequate supervision
- Small children left unattended
- Trusting flotation devices
- Lifeguard absence or negligence
- Lack of appropriate life-saving equipment at the pool
- A failure to post the necessary warning signs and depth markers
- Lack of signage or old, out-of-date or unreadable signage
- Having electronic devices too close to the water
- Overcrowding / Too many swimmers in the pool
- Roughhousing and inappropriate behavior
- Bigger and older youths bullying or harming smaller, younger children
- Running around the pool area
- Drinking alcohol around water or while swimming
- Alcohol and/or drug abuse by lifeguards or staff
- Damaged surfaces around the edge of the pool
- Defective equipment or unsafe pool components
- Unsafe, uncovered or old model drain
- Failure to properly secure the pool area
- Improper fencing or lack of fencing
- Uncovered pool or above-ground pool protection
- Excessive pool chemicals (i.e. too much chlorine) that may cause injury
- Pool hazards such as toys, lawn chairs, shoes, towels, bottles, cans/glasses, etc.
- Lack of proper maintenance
- Diving accidents
Schmidt, Sethi & Akmajian have successfully litigated dozens of wrongful death cases involving drownings due to someone else's negligence and are considered one of Tucson, Arizona's premier swimming pool accident attorneys.
We are compassionate and caring with our clients, but we are extremely aggressive Tucson personal injury attorneys when it comes to winning your case and recovering maximum damages for you.
Accidents Involving Swimming Pools
Our Tucson, Arizona swimming pool accident lawyers can help with your injury claim.
If you own a swimming pool in Arizona, you are legally responsible for creating a safe environment in and around the pool area and must adhere to all safety and maintenance standards. Swimming pools appeal to all people and can be magnets for small children, adolescents and even adults, especially in sunny, hot Tucson, Arizona.
There are many incidents of drowning in public pools; however, 80% of drownings occur in private pools. As such, there are a number of measures that pool owners must take to ensure that people who use their pool, and people who live near their pool and could easily access it or its immediate area, are kept safe at all times.
But, swimming pools can be a dangerous, hazardous environment due to their very nature - and unfortunately accidents and wrongful deaths happen too often, including:
- Accidental drowning
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burn injuries due to chemicals
- Skull and spinal fractures
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Drain suction injuries
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Slippery surfaces creating slip and fall injuries
- Slide accidents
- Diving board and high-dive platform accidents
- Ladder-related accidents
- Injuries from pool hazards or pool toys
- Locker rooms and shower accidents
- Defective products (product liability)
While some accidents only result in minor scrapes, bruises, or a skinned knee, others can result in serious injury, permanent disfigurement or even death. These severe swimming pool accident cases and wrongful death drownings claims are what we specialize in and why we're considered one of the most experienced, successful personal injury law firms in the Tucson area.
At our Tucson personal injury law firm, our goal is to fully understand the extent of your injuries and their impact on your life so that we can expedite your case to a successful settlement or verdict. As a result, an impressive 98% of our cases end in a fair settlement, though we also have a strong record for successful trial verdicts.
What Compensation Can I Expect for Injuries Sustained from Swimming Pool Accidents?
The owner of a swimming pool has a duty to maintain the pool, adhere to all safety standards and to restrict access to the pool area. They are responsible for the safety of anyone let into that area.
If the owner or caretaker of a swimming pool can be proven to be negligent, the injured party may seek compensation. If there is a death involved due to drowning, there are additional damages that may be recovered.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a swimming pool accident due to someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for any of the following damages:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical bills related the injury
- Costs of physical therapy, rehabilitation, etc.
- Special equipment and household and vehicle modifications (such as ramps or lifts)
- Costs of lifelong care if needed
- Lost wages
- Loss of career or earning potential
- Property loss or damage
- Permanent injury or disability
- Hedonic damages (loss of joy of life or will to live)
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Punitive damages
If another person's actions or failure to act lead to your swimming pool accident injuries or caused a wrongful death from drowning, you may be able to file a swimming pool accident claim to recover damages for your injuries. Contact the AZ Injury Law team today to speak to one of our personal injury experts.
What Compensation Can I Expect for Wrongful Death Due to Drowning?
Losing a loved one due to drowning is sad and tragic, and that person can never be replaced. But when that death was caused by someone else's negligence, it's an even bigger tragedy.
At Schmidt, Sethi & Akmajian we understand the hardships you and your family may be going through after you or a loved one are involved in a serious swimming pool accident or have experienced a death in the family due to drowning. Our entire staff will be there to listen, to understand your unique case, and to fight hard for your financial recovery.
In the tragic event that your loved one died in a swimming pool accident or due to drowning, with representation from the AZ Injury Law team you and your family may be able to pursue compensation for:
- Loss of future benefits (such as medical benefits and retirement)
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills
- Loss of future income
- Punitive damages
- Loss of love, affection, companionship, guidance, marital consortium, etc.
- Loss of household services the deceased performed (such as bookkeeping, childcare, property maintenance, etc.)
- Pain and suffering of the deceased before death
If you or your loved one has been seriously injured or worse in a swimming pool accident due to someone else's negligence, you can file a lawsuit for damages against the pool owner.
That's when the expert representation from Tucson, Arizona personal injury attorneys at Schmidt, Sethi & Akmajian matters most. Call us at (520) 790-5600 for your free consultation.
Swimming Pool Accident Blogs, Articles, and Helpful Info
CLICK HERE to read additional blogs on a variety of personal injury subjects.
Our Tucson, Arizona injury lawyers offer assistance for a variety of personal injury, swimming pool accident and wrongful death due to drowning cases for our valued clients.
CLICK HERE for your free consultation or call our award-winning attorneys at (520) 790-5600.