Carbon monoxide is commonly called the silent killer. It is an odorless, colorless gas that can come from generators, cars, and other machinery. When inhaled, this dangerous gas can cause a person to fall unconscious and eventually suffocate in the fumes. In order to monitor carbon monoxide, you need to install carbon monoxide alarms in your home. These will detect any strong fumes and can warn you to exit your home before you put yourself at risk to poisoning.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission,carbon monoxide poisoning typically causes symptoms similar to the flu. A person will suffer from a headache, shortness of breath, dizziness, fatigue, or nausea. If you suspect that you are a victim of this illness, it is essential that you get fresh air almost immediately. You need to get medical attention as soon as possible to avoid serious and adverse effects.
According to the CPSC, the garage is a common location for carbon monoxide poisoning because the gas is in the exhaust fumes from a car. If you leave your car running in a garage, or use a charcoal grill in a confined place, it can result in carbon monoxide poisoning. As well, the poisoning can happen when a room heater emits too much of the substance, or when the masonry on a chimney is loose.
In addition, a malfunctioning water heater, furnace, stovetop range or oven, or generator can all lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. If you want to learn more about carbon monoxide poisoning then you need to contact an attorney at Schmidt, Sethi & Akmajian. If you were harmed or a loved one was injured or killed by carbon monoxide poisoning then you may be able to blame a party at fault.
For example, if you live in a rented home or apartment and there are no carbon monoxide alarms in the home, then you may be able to sue the landlord for forgetting this important safety measure.
You can also check out Unity Home Group's carbon monoxide safety guide here.